The Digital Geekaship is launching its exciting new unique challenge “Digital Geekaship Campus Battle”! a challenge that combines team work, software engineering and kick ass programming skills. In short, Students and their tertiary institutions in South Africa are invited to take part in a 2-day team-based application development challenge to solve a specific problem and the best team will stand a chance to win a dope prize. The challenge is open to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying in the fields of software, mobile development, web development, front-end development, systems design and engineering.
This challenge will run nationally and virtually, so each team will send us the GPS location of where they will be stationed during the 2 days.
The challenge will take place over two days; 21st January 2017 from 09:00 until 22nd January 2017 at 13:00. Please review the Programme section for specific detail of the activities on those days.
The winners will be announced on 22nd January 2017 at 17:00.
Judges’ Evaluation Criteria
- All entries will be judged according to a scorecard.
- Design of the application and user experience.
- The problem statement that the challenge is centered around must be solved.
- The application must be functioning.
- Judges and teams will have no contact during the challenge.
- Judges scoring is final once announced.
Team Entry Criteria
- Each member of the team must be between the ages of 18 – 30 and currently registered as a student at a tertiary institution in South Africa. Student numbers will be verified with the institutions they’re representing and students must submit proof of enrollment during online registration.
- The challenge is open to 3 teams per tertiary institution on a first come first served basis.
- A team should consist of no more than 5 people and should include the competencies of a digital designer and developer.
Activity 1: Build a small application
- For this level’s battle, the team can use any programming language or approach to getting the application developed and running. Show us your strut.
Activity 2: Submit videos recording your progress and human state at defined intervals
- Throughout the day each team will be required to post a 30 seconds video of where they are at, sharing anything that is on their mind. Like your Big Geek Brother! Each team member MUST submit the 30 second emoji check-in.
Team : R5000 in cash secured already.
Institution : The title of “Top Digital Geeks Campus Battle 2016” goes to the winning institution.