- Principal Investigators (PIs) and Co-PIs applying for a research grant must have an earned doctorate in an academic discipline or professional field, or appropriate experience in an education research-related profession.
- The PI must be affiliated with a college, university, school district, non-profit research facility, or non-profit cultural institution that is willing to serve as the fiscal agent if the grant is awarded. The Spencer Foundation does not award grants directly to individuals.
- Proposals are accepted from the U.S. and internationally, however all proposals must be submitted in English and budgets must be proposed in U.S. Dollars.
- Small Research Grant budgets are limited to $50,000
- Small Research Grant budgets may not include indirect cost charges.
- PIs and Co-PIs may only hold one active research grant from the Spencer Foundation at a time. Simultaneous submissions to the Foundation from PIs and Co-PIs are discouraged due to this policy.
The review process for the Small Research Grants program takes approximately 4 months following the deadline date. PIs will be notified via email of the final decision regarding their proposal. Over 500 proposal submissions per year and are able to fund 5-10% of those received. Information on the criteria used to review proposals can be found in the Program Statement.
Read more on Application Guidelines for Spencer Small Research Grant.