‘The UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development: The Role of Education’ presents a unique platform for discussion on two key programmes of the Education Sector, namely Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and Global Citizenship Education (GCED), and their practical contribution in achieving Target 4.7 of the Sustainable Development Goal 4 on Education. The Week will focus on the issue of teachers and teacher training, and highlight best practices in the fields of ESD and GCED. Participation is by invitation only.
UNESCO and the Canadian Commission for UNESCO are jointly organizing this Week for Peace and Sustainable Development which will present the unique opportunity to bring together two important events organized back-to-back with sessions open to all participants:
• Review Forum for the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD: implementation and innovation
• Third UNESCO Forum on Global Citizenship Education (GCED): the Role of Teachers
The Week will provide space to share and discuss trends and innovation in pedagogical approaches and practices in ESD and GCED, as well as exchange good practices in advancing GCED and ESD in our global context. The Week has been designed to maximize opportunities for interaction, networking and free debates and discussions among participants.
- Are you between 18-35 years old?
- Do you have policymaking, capacity building or advocacy experience in education for sustainable development (ESD) or Global Citizenship Education as an educator, innovator, policymaker, development professional, researcher?
- Do you want to network and collaborate with fellow youth leaders for exchange of best practices and latest innovations in the fields of ESD and GCED?
- Do you want to engage in a no-holds-barred dialogue with policymakers on The Role of Teachers in achieving SDG 4.7?
- Are you a young educator with experience of using ICT-based innovative pedagogies in your classroom?
- Do you have a flair for writing short, accurate reports on ESD and GCED?
How to Apply
In order to apply for the UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development: The Role of Education, you should complete the following two-step process:
- A) Application form: Please complete all the fields in the application form and submit with the following attachments:
- Scan of 1st and last page of your passport
- An updated resume
- A short (one paragraph) biography
- A high-resolution image
- B) Online discussions:
- In order to be considered as a youth delegate at the UNESCO Week for Peace and Sustainable Development: The Role of Education, in addition to submitting your application form, you are required to participate in weekly online thematic discussions on UNESCO MGIEP’s social media platforms of Facebook and Twitter*.
- The discussions will begin simultaneously on both the platforms from 2nd January 2017 to 27th January 2017.
- Your active participation in the online discussion (through your comments and/or tweets) will be taken into consideration while evaluating your application.
- Applications and online discussions open: Monday, 2nd January, 2017
- Applications and online discussion close: Friday, 27th January, 2017
- Announcement of selected youth delegates: Friday, 3rd February, 2017
- Registrations close: ? (This is registration to the conference)
- Travel and visa arrangements: Monday 6th February- Wednesday 1st March, 2017
- Preparatory consultation with participants: Monday 6th February- Wednesday 1st March, 2017
Limited travel sponsorship are available
Remember, you will also be considered based on your online participation and contributions to the discussions
Applications and discussions close on 27 January 2016 (23:59 GMT).