Application deadline is 2 February 2017
The University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP) is a summer internship program for students majoring in natural science and other relevant fields. The program will provide students with an opportunity to gain the experience of “real graduate-school life” or “research-centered life.” UTRIP is a gateway to pursuing an advanced degree and experiencing academic life at UTokyo.
The program will be a good trial for students to test their aptitude for rigorous graduate study in the natural sciences. Participating students will closely work with leading researchers of the Graduate School of Science (GSS) at UTokyo.
In addition to an opportunity for an outstanding scientific research work experience, the program includes off-campus activities such as a field-trip to a historical or natural site in Japan, and social and cultural events to promote a better understanding of Japanese culture and build a good relationship with current students at UTokyo. Lectures on cross-disciplinary scientific areas are also part of the program.
At the conclusion of the program, students are required to make an oral presentation and submit a report on the research project.
Features of UTRIP
- A research project program with full-time commitment.
- Participants will have an opportunity to get involved in research at the frontier of natural science.
- As part of the program, students will read published research articles pertaining to their projects, and participate in laboratory meetings with their faculty advisors.
- Financial support: All participants except for those receiving the FUTI Award will receive the GSS Scholarship, which includes air fare support, free housing, and a stipend. For details check the Financial Support page.
- Students will visit a historical or natural site of interest in Japan.
- Specially-arranged Japanese language course will be available.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will be awarded a certificate from the school. Those students who are highly rated by faculty members will be given priority for a scholarship when and if they apply for one at our school in the future.
Applicants for UTRIP must:
- Have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
- Be enrolled in and, after the UTRIP program ends, be expected to return to, at least another semester, quarter, or another equivalent academic term, in a Bachelor’s degree program (or a Bachelor’s-equivalent year of an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program) at a university outside of Japan.
＊At selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants expected to be in their third year of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program and to applicants expected to be in their second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program. Second-year students in four-year Bachelor’s degree programs are also encouraged to apply.
- Be enrolled in a natural science or related field.
- Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Be planning to commit to the entire six consecutive weeks of the UTRIP program (June 9 to July 20 for 1st Crew students, and June 28 to August 8 for 2nd Crew students) on a full-time basis.
- Be able to present coverage of a health insurance plan that is effective during the internship program before arriving in Japan.
- English proficiency: test scores of TOEFL or an equivalent English proficiency test (such as IELTS) are required if English is not your first language. Test scores that have already expired are accepted, as long as the applicant is still able to produce proof of the test scores upon request by the UTRIP office. Students who have received an English-medium education continuously for the past 8 years are exempted from submitting English proficiency test scores.
Upon enrolling in the UTRIP program, students must agree to fulfill the following requirements:
- To devote their full efforts to conducting the UTRIP project
- To participate in the project for the full six-week period
- To attend all academic and social events scheduled over the course of the UTRIP program
- To submit a written research final report approved by the UTRIP supervisor within one month of finishing the UTRIP program
- To give an oral presentation on the scheduled day
- First Crew: 9 June 2017 – 20 July 2017
- Second Crew: 28 June 2017 – 8 August 2017
Financial support (2017)
Financial support to cover participation expenses:
UTRIP participants will be granted financial support to cover their costs and expenses in two forms:
(1) The Graduate School of Science (GSS) Scholarship for UTRIP-Related Expenses (“GSS-UTRIP Scholarship”), and
(2) the FUTI Award (Friends of UTokyo, Inc.)
Please note that the FUTI Award is applicable to students who are currently enrolled in U. S. universities regardless of their citizenship. When an applicant is selected to receive the FUTI Award, he or she cannot concurrently receive a GSS-UTRIP Scholarship. A GSS-UTRIP Scholarship will be applicable when an application to the FUTI Award is rejected by the sponsor.
Begin application here