Early Decision and Travel Assistance application deadline: March 1, 2017
Final application deadline: May 1, 2017
Building on the successful model of the Clinton Global Initiative, which brings together world leaders to take action on global challenges, President Bill Clinton launched the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) in 2007 to engage the next generation of leaders on college campuses around the world.
Each year, CGI U hosts a meeting where students, university representatives, topic experts, and celebrities come together to discuss and develop innovative solutions to pressing global challenges. CGI U 2017 will take place at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts from October 13-15, 2017. The meeting will bring together more than 1,100 students to make a difference in CGI U’s five focus areas: Education, Environment and Climate Change, Peace and Human Rights, Poverty Alleviation, and Public Health.
But CGI U is more than just an event. It is a growing community of young leaders who don’t just discuss global challenges–they take real, concrete steps toward solving them. Throughout the year, and as a prerequisite of attending the CGI U meeting, students develop their own Commitments to Action: new, specific, and measurable initiatives that address pressing challenges on campus, in local communities, or around the world. Commitments range from manufacturing wheelchairs for developing countries to establishing campus bike share programs, from creating free vision clinics to developing e-learning applications for mobile phones.
Throughout the year, students are also invited to apply to become CGI U Campus Representatives. Colleges and universities can engage with CGI U by joining the CGI University Network to support and mentor innovative student commitment-makers from their respective campuses by providing seed funding for new projects and initiatives.
CGI U is proof that young people have the power to make a significant impact by confronting some of the world’s most urgent challenges. Since 2008, students have made more than 6,250 Commitments to Action, and nearly $3 million in funding has been awarded to these commitment-makers through CGI U.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and currently enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time of application. (Ex: A student graduating after the May 1, 2017 final deadline would be eligible to apply.)
- Students who will be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in an institution of higher education by October 2017 are also eligible to apply. (Ex: A high school senior who turns 18 years of age in June 2017 and commences university studies by October 2017 or a university graduate enrolling in an advanced degree program by October 2017 would also be eligible to apply.)
- To be considered for admission, all applicants are required to design a Commitment to Action in one of CGI U’s five focus areas: Education, Environment and Climate Change, Peace and Human Rights, Poverty Alleviation, and Public Health.
- All invited attendees will be notified by the end of May or early June.
- The 10th annual CGI U meeting will take place October 13-15, 2017 at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts.You can apply as an individual or as a group of up to three students.
Application tips and information
To learn more about the CGI U application process, students can review the CGI U commitments map, application tips, and application checklist. Click here for more information about funding opportunities for student commitment-makers
Have questions? Join the weekly online information sessions during any of the times listed below. In these webinars, you will have a chance to learn more about CGI U, the application process, and CGI U 2017 at Northeastern University. Connect to the session 5 minutes prior to the start via the following link: www.anymeeting.com/cgiu1
- Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 6:00 PM EST
- Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM EST
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM EST
- Friday, March 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM EST
- Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 8:30 PM EDT
- Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 5:00 PM EDT
- Monday, March 27, 2017 at 11:00 PM EDT
- Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM EDT
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM EDT
- Friday, April 21, 2017 at 3:00 PM EDT
- Monday, April 24, 2017 at 9:00 AM EDT
- Friday, April 28, 2017 at 6:00 PM EDT
Begin application here
Check out the FAQS
Visit webpage here