Deadline is 10 May 2017
The African-German Network of Excellence in Science (AGNES) is pleased to announce that the call for applications for the next intake programme: the AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant for Junior Researchers is now open.
AGNES aims to strengthen the scientific capacity and networking in Africa through active co-operation of AGNES and potential AGNES members. The programme enables researchers studying towards a Masters or PhD from sub-Saharan African countries to spend research stays between 1 and 2 months at a university/research institute in other sub-Saharan African country.
The AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant enables junior researchers (Masters and Doctoral students) from sub-Saharan African countries to spend research stays between 1 and 2 months at a university/research institute in another sub-Saharan African country (hereafter: host institution), where they will be collaborating with an experienced researcher (hereafter: scientific host). Eligible junior researchers need to demonstrate the relevance of their work for further development of their home countries in sub-Sahara Africa.
The Grant aims to be as financially comprehensive as is reasonably possible for a short stay outside the borders of the applicant’s country, covering travel and living costs, and includes a research allowance to the host institute to cover some of the research expenses. A maximum Grant amount of EUR 2 300 and EUR 3 000 is earmarked for 1 and 2 months stays, respectively.
- Direct applications from junior researchers only will be considered for the AGNES Mobility Grant.
- The applicant may be from any academic discipline but must be officially registered for the Masters or the Doctoral degree at a university/tertiary institute in sub-Sahara Africa
- Must be a national of a sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants must demonstrate clearly that their work is relevant towards development in sub-Saharan African countries.
- Only applicants with an identified scientific host and mutually agreed-upon proposal/work schedule will be considered for the Grant.
Complete applications must include the following: –
- Letter of motivation from the junior scientist (applicant) with a short outline of the proposed research activity and a work schedule for achieving the aim(s) of the research project at the host institution. The scientific host must agree in writing to the proposal and time schedule. –
- A standard CV of the applicant (download use the template attached) and proof of registration for the postgraduate degree (only current Masters and Doctoral students are eligible). –
- A list of publications (include an e-copy of at least the Title/Author page), or other proof of research outputs (e.g. Abstracts for conference posters, talks, presentations, etc.).
- Travel costs (by land or economy class flight): supply two quotes for the journey (including return travel) between the applicant’s country of residence and the country of the host institute).
- In general, the cheapest option shall be chosen. – Estimated cost of living (rent, meals, local transport, health insurance) at the host institute. It is expected that applicants themselves will conclude a valid health insurance for the research stay. Scientific hosts and host institutes are expected to assist applicants in finding affordable accommodation and to advise them on establishing subsistence estimates.
- Invitation letter from the scientific host: (i) confirming that a place to work will be available at the indicated period, (ii) a binding declaration from the host institution fixing the amount of the research cost allowance. A maximum amount of EUR 100 per month and EUR 200 per month, respectively, is earmarked for Humanities & Social Sciences, and Natural & Life Sciences and Engineering Sciences. If less than the maximum amount is stipulated, remaining funds out of the research cost allowance can be used for covering living cost of the Grantee.
Interested junior scientists should submit their electronic applications directly to the AGNES Desk via email : firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 May 2017. Please ensure that the application and all supporting documents reach the AGNES desk by midnight South African time
Call for application pdf
For more information visit webpage here