Deadline: No due date
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out high quality, policy-relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. Our goal is to generate evidence for meaningful action to improve the lives of all Africans.
APHRC’s Education and Youth Empowerment unit seeks to engage a Coordinator for its Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI) to coordinate partners who work on education issues in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The position is based in Nairobi, with regular visits to the mentioned countries.
1. Supervise and coordinate clustering for more than 35 current and prospective partners based in the four countries. The five clusters to be created include: teacher development and support, transitions, life skills and youth leadership, flexible and adaptable learning approaches, and inclusion and accountability in education.
2. Convene partner organizations to advance networking, learning, and engagement with key stakeholders. This will include convening organizations semi-annually, once at the regional level and at the level of individual countries to encourage in-depth networking and information exchange.
3. Provide follow-up and coordination of technical support to individual partner organizations: This includes identifying new technical support needs and opportunities that emerge during the convening in collaboration with subcontractors (including Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) officers, cluster leaders, and synthesis agents.) The Coordinator will, in consultation with the subcontractors and an external funder, identify and coordinate the ways in which the support officers will respond to those needs in annual plans of action.
4. Facilitate connections between partner organizations, stakeholders, and MEL officers equipped to provide capacity building support: Coordinate linkages between partner organizations in need of technical assistance or capacity building support and other in-country organizations/consultants with relevant expertise. The Coordinator will need knowledge of and relationships with those in-country entities best able to assist partner organizations in filling gaps in their ability to carry out a given project, including connections to resources to support partner organizations in taking their work to scale.
5. Manage all sub-contractors, including issuing timely payments, to ensure deliverables are met.
- Extensive knowledge of the field of Education, with special emphasis on education issues in East Africa
- Ability to do complex analysis of multi-country education issues and synthesis
- Good writing skills
- Excellent meeting facilitation skills
- Knowledge/relationships with in-country organizations working on education in the region
- Proven track record of developing and managing complex event schedules/logistics and producing work under demanding timelines
- Reliable financial accounting
- Ability to regularly report and synthesize developments for different partners
- Ability to manage sub-contractors
- Working knowledge of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Proven ability to bring education policymakers and stakeholders to the table
- Masters degree in Education, Sociology, Psychology, Economics or any other relevant field. Candidates who have completed their PhD studies in the mentioned fields will have an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the field of education as a researcher and/or development practitioner
This will be a one year contract renewable subject to performance and availability of resources.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply and include their letter of application and CV, through the recruitment portal here
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
Visit webpage here