DEALINE: 31 July 2017
Are you passionate about French, German or Spanish? If so, you could receive a languages scholarship of £27,500 to train as a secondary school teacher.
As a language teacher you can continue to use your language every day. You can play a part in equipping the next generation with skills employers need. Good language teachers are in demand and there has never been a better time to enter the profession, with attractive starting salaries and long-term job prospects.
Take a step towards inspiring a new generation of young people to love languages as much as you do.
- Receive a scholarship of £27,500 to train as a secondary school teacher.
- Those who are not successful in their Scholarship application can still continue with their Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course application and, if eligible, receive a training bursary from the DfE.
- As a Languages Teacher Training Scholar, you will, in addition to the financial support, receive access to mentor support and a range of professional development opportunities and resources.
- As a language teacher you can continue to use your language every day.
- You can play a part in equipping the next generation with skills employers need.
- Attractive starting salaries and long-term job prospects in the profession.
- To be eligible to apply, you must have one of the following in French, German or Spanish.
- 2:1, or predicted 2:1
- a relevant PhD or Master’s degree, or recognised equivalent.
- Your application might have considered if you have a degree in another subject, or a 2.2 (or predicted 2.2) if you are able to demonstrate significant knowledge in the target language.
- You must meet the student finance criteria.
- To receive the scholarship you must also have secured a place on an eligible non-salaried languages teacher training scheme in England for the 2017/18 academic year by September 2017. But you can apply for the scholarship at the same time as applying for an eligible course.
- If you are unsure about your eligibility for the scholarship your chosen teacher training provider will be able to advise you.
- If you don’t meet the criteria above then take a look at the Train to teach in England section at the bottom of this page.
How do I apply?
You can apply directly to us for a scholarship alongside your application to secure a training place at your preferred school or university. The closing date is 31 July 2017, please apply early to avoid disappointment.
If you are not awarded a scholarship, you could still access a bursary – you can find out about the funding and training options available and how to apply for teacher training on the Department for Education’s Get Into Teaching website
DEALINE: 31 July 2017
If you would like more information please email LanguagesTeacherTrainingScholarships@britishcouncil.org or visit the official website here.