Deadline:July 15 2017Dr. Toyin Falola (Jr) and Joseph Friesen hereby institute a scholarship scheme to benefit indigent young people wishing to pursue university education in the fields of History and Biology at Nigeria universities. For the 2017-2018 competition, only students in Biology from Tai Solarin University, and from History, the University of Ibadan, will be considered.Recognizing that many brilliant, hardworking, and deserving Nigerian young people are unable to enter or remain in university specifically due to the lack of funds to complete their studies, this scholarship award aims to help two young Nigerians over a three year period to achieve their dreams in order to make contributions to the development and progress of the Nigerian nation.Award AmountThe award will be for a US$5,000 per candidate, divided up into annual installments over three years total. There will be two scholarship winners per year. The goal will be to cover tuition, books, and other school-related expenses.Administration of the AwardThe process of advertisement, evaluation of applications, selection of candidates, verification of claims and documents, monitoring of progress, disbursement of award, and sundry other related tasks shall be undertaken by the Toyin Falola Centre on behalf of Dr. Toyin Falola and Joseph Friesen, the grantors.Eligibility
- The scholarship will be awarded to students who demonstrate excellence in academic achievement, promising leadership qualities, and outstanding character.
- Academic achievement is recognized as outstanding achievement in all of WAEC/SSCE, UTME and first year examinations already undertaken by the candidate.
- Consistent high achievement is important for selection and retention on the scholarship. Other abilities must be evidenced by candidate’s prior record and attested to by relevant individuals in her/his community.
- The candidate must also clearly show evidence of indigence and inability to pay fees without the aid of the scholarship.Note that:
- Candidates must have completed the first year of studies and fulfil all criteria as set by the Toyin Falola Centre.· A candidate whose application is successful will have the distinction of being named a Toyin Falola and Joseph Friesen (TFJF) Scholar for the duration of the award.Scholarship RequirementsIf any of the following conditions are not met, subsequent installments of the scholarship will not be granted to the student:
- The TFJF Scholar must maintain the academic distinction at the minimum grade level of Second Class Upper Division, and character qualities (clean university citizenship record) identified upon the award throughout her/his studentship;
- A TFJF Scholar must remain at the institution/university approved for the scholarship; and,
- A TFJF Scholar must complete annual reports to be sent to the Toyin Falola Centre about her/his progress, [and co-signed by the head of department for the course of study]Candidates must ensure that their application documents are authentic and are a true reflection of the criteria of the award. Any fraud discovered in the Scholar’s application documents or in her/his claims will lead to an immediate forfeiture of the scholarship (if already awarded), formal report to the university, a public disclaimer, and the re-payment of any part of the award already disbursed to the individual as at the time of the discovery.Application datesApplications may be submitted every year betweenMay 1 and July 15. The selected candidate for each year will be announced by August 15 of that year.Required application documents:o A completed application formo A letter of application (5300 character maximum), convincingly setting forth the need for the scholarship and demonstrating the candidate’s goals in pursuing a university educationo Certified true copy of WAEC/NECO result, at one sitting onlyo Certified true copy of Jamb resulto Certified true copy of university admission lettero First year transcripts/results, sent directly from the University to the Centreo Two recommendation letters attesting to the candidate’s academic achievement and promise, leadership potentials and charactero Completed attestation form from the Dean of Faculty/School or DVC Academicso Other (variable) evidence of leadership abilities and of characterShortlisted candidates may be required to submit additional documents or verification.Submission of documentsCandidates must ensure that all documents reach the Toyin Falola Centre in a single email as one attachment, or in a single packet by post, within the dates set forth above. Documents arriving late for any reason at all will not be considered.Documents may be scanned and emailed to email@example.comOr mailed to the following address:Toyin Falola Centre8650 Spicewood Springs #145Box 618Austin, Tx 78759