The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) in Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS offer full time postgraduate fellowships to young scientists from developing countries (other than Brazil) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in natural sciences.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- There is no age limit for this programme.
- Hold a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum Master’s degree).
- Have good command of Portuguese and/or Spanish and/or English.
- Be a national of a developing country other than Brazil.
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (please refer to the sample that can be downloaded below) and be willing to register for a PhD degree in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution (see point 3 above).
- Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate’s mother tongue).
- Have an updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform (see note on online applications below).
- Present a detailed research plan agreed by her/his host supervisor.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only.
- Information on the call for applications where you will find the programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates as well as the online application form are available here or in the note below
- Applicants must be aware that CNPq and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Queries concerning the call for applications online portal to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships programmes should be directed to email@example.com
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
• National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
International Cooperation Office (ASCIN)
SHIS Quadra 01 Conjunto B, Bloco “D”, Edificio Santos Dumont
71605-001 Lago sul Brasília, DF, Brazil
Phone: + 55 61 3211 9446, + 55 61 3211 9610
Fax: +55 61 3211-9442
For more details, please click here.