Application Deadline: 1st December 2017
AAUW’s International Fellowship program has been in existence since 1917. The program provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the United States who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. A limited number of awards are available for study outside of the United States (excluding the applicant’s home country) to women who are members of Graduate Women International (see the list of GWI affiliates). Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work.
To be eligible for an International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the United States or possession of a nonimmigrant visa if residing in the United States. Women holding dual citizenship in the United States and another country or who are permanent legal residents of the United States are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the United States or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by September 30, 2017.
- Intend to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year
- Intend to return to her home country to pursue a professional career
- Be proficient in English. Unless the applicant can verify that her native language is English, that she received her secondary diploma or undergraduate degree from an English-speaking institution, or that she will have completed one semester of full-time study in her discipline at an English-speaking college or university between October 2015 and September 30, 2017 (transcript required for validation), she must upload a recent ETS TOEFL……. Read More…
Criteria for Selection and Application Review
The International Fellowships Panel meets once a year to review applications for funding. Awards are based on the selection criteria outlined on this page. Recommendations by the panel are subject to final approval by the AAUW Board of Directors. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis according to funds available in a given fiscal year. To ensure a fair and objective review process, it is the policy of AAUW not to comment on the deliberations of its award panels. No provisions exist for reconsideration of grant proposals after the board has acted. AAUW does not provide evaluations of successful or unsuccessful applications.Applications and supporting documents become the sole property of AAUW and will neither be returned nor held for another year.
The following criteria apply to the selection of International Fellowships:
- Residing in home country at time of application
- Position on return to home country
- Academic and/or professional qualifications
- Applicant’s commitment to the advancement of women and girls in her home country
- Proposed time schedule
- Quality and feasibility of proposed plan of study or research
- Demonstrated evidence of prior community and/or civic service in home country
- Applicant’s country’s need for the specialized knowledge or skill
- Financial need
- Motivation for graduate study or research
- Applicant is from an underrepresented area of the country and/or type of university other than a top-level research institution.
Application Deadline: 1st December 2017.
For more information about AAUW International Fellowships, please visit the the official website.