Are you ready to show the beauty of Nigeria through magnificent photography?
The U.S. Mission Nigeria invites Nigerians to compete in its NaijaGems Photography contest to raise awareness of Nigeria’s natural beauty. Ambassador W. Stuart Symington who has visited all 36 states in Nigeria and initiated the competition said,
“There are all across this country (Nigeria) places of spectacular beauty, including some of the rarest and most beautiful flora, flowers and fauna, rock structures, rivers, waterfalls, and historic structures, things created by God and things created by man from one end of this country to the other.
They want you to take a picture of one of those Nigerian gems – things or places that cause every Nigerian and every other person in the world who sees it to go “WOW.” There is much to be admired and celebrated in Nigeria. We are giving Nigerians an opportunity to tell their positive stories in pictures.
The contest is open to all adult Nigerians. We are looking for originality and creativity, compelling photography skills, and a Wow effect – within a picture displaying natural beauty of a meaningful location or object in Nigeria.
Events from this contest may be announced and promoted on various Social Media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr and SoundCloud.Contest entry and administration will take place through Flickr, Google Forms, Instagram and Facebook. Contest winners may also be announced on Facebook; however these platforms are not partners or sponsors of the contest. Contestants are reminded that by participating in the contest and uploading content to Flickr, Instagram they are bound by Flickr/Yahoo’s, Instagram’s Terms of Service and any agreement with Flickr/Yahoo contained therein.
The contest winner will take home a Canon EOS 5D mark iv, the second and third place winners will also receive high-quality Canon cameras and top photos from the 36 states and the FCT will win consolation prizes. The best photos will be featured in a NaijaGems photo exhibition in Abuja.
The results will be announced on the Embassy website and on social media and the winners will be invited to the embassy to receive their prizes.
How to Enter
- Contestants will be asked to produce high-resolution original photographs of spectacular beauty that are peculiar to a region or state; the locations should be a symbol of pride to the people and culture of that state.
- Two identical photos are to be taken; one should include a human subject who verifies the originality of the work and he/she should be tagged in the submission.
- An entry is made by uploading the photos to Flickr with a clear description (250 words max) of the location and why the object or scene is important to that community, state, or the nation as a whole.
- Upload photos to Instagram and tag the U.S. Mission Nigeria (@usinnigeria), tag the human subject in the photo and adopt the contest hashtag, #NaijaGEMs.
- Photo metadata must be visible on Flickr to qualify. Manipulated photos will be disqualified.
- Contestants are to complete an entry/sign up form [http://bit.ly/naijagemsform] after uploading the photos with the following information:
- Contestant details
- Flickr photo URLs
- Instagram ID
- Confirm the originality of the photo
- Sign a release – allowing the Embassy to post and share the photos
Visit webpage for more information here