Deadline-May 31 2018
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time MPhil (2 years) and PhD (3 years) offered by the University of Botswana. Candidates who meet eligibility criteria will receive full sponsorship through the “Tackling of Infectious Disease to Benefit Africa (TIBA)” research project grant through the School of Nursing. The TIBA project recognizes the challenges brought about by the neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) specifically, schistosomiasis in Botswana and is being managed through a collaboration between the University of Botswana and the University of Edinburgh.
The National Institute for Health Research’s Global Health Research Program in the United Kingdom has provided funding for this project to investigate the prevalence and magnitude of schistosomiasis in the Okavango Delta.
Applicants interested in this program are expected to address any on the following TIBA objectives to: 1) Improve the diagnosis and surveillance of schistosomiaisis in Botswana, 2) Enhance diagnosis and treatment of schistosomiasis, and 3) Contribute to policy dialogue withkey stakeholders.
The duration for the MPhil studies will be a maximum of 2 years and the duration for the PhD programme will be a maximum of 3 years. The MPhil and PhD
programmes will commence in the 2019 academic year.
Interested applicants in these programmes will be admitted in the MPhil/PhD degree program in the Faculty of Health Sciences which is a degree-by-research only. There is no course-work component, and applicants are expected to be strongly-motivated self-starters capable of working under guidance.
Only candidates whose academic achievements meet the following University of
Botswana General Requirements are eligible to apply:
Admission into the Master of Philosophy Degree Programme
(i) Applicants must have obtained a single major or Honors Bachelor’s degree with a First or Upper Second Class (overall A or B average; GPA of 3.5 on 5 points scale) from a recognized University or equivalent Institution of Higher Education or a Master’s degree.
(ii) Applicants who have obtained an appropriate combined major degree with a First or Second (Overall A or B average) may be considered provided that at least an Upper Second Class performance B average) is achieved in the intended field of study.
(iii) A degree in the health sciences (nursing, medicine, medical laboratory sciences etc.) will be an added advantage
(iv) Preference will be given to candidates:
a. In possession of a degree in health sciences (nursing, medicine, medical laboratory
b. who are citizens of Botswana
Admission into the Doctor of Philosophy Degree Programme
Applicants who have obtained an appropriate Master’s Degree (MSc, MA, Med, MPhil or equivalent) with course work and research are eligible to apply.
The scholarship will cover tuition, costs of field research including equipment, and a monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation.
Interested candidates must submit a concept paper that describes how you will approach the research.
This will ultimately form the basis of the research proposal, one of the early requirements for an MPhil /PhD degrees.
The concept should reflect, in a narrative manner, your understanding of:
1) The neglected tropical diseases, especially schistosomiasis;
2) The diagnosis and surveillance of schistosomiasis in Botswana;
3) The strategies of enhancing diagnosis and treat of schistosomiasis ;
4) The constraints on, opportunities, costs and benefits of schistosomiasis diagnosis and treatment in Botswana;
5) Possible methods for achieving project objectives 1 and 2.
6) The potential application and utility of your research
Development of the concept paper requires some reading of the scientific literature, and on-line research.
The concept paper should be no longer than 5 pages, MSWord (or equivalent word-processing software), New Times Romans 12 font size, single line spacing. A list of references cited should be appended (this will not be considered to contribute to the page count).
How to apply:
- Cover letter of application which should indicate the motivation for application for MPhil/PhD in this field and provide any other information that will assist in determining the suitability for the scholarship.
- Provide the concept paper, current C.V. (including telephone and e-mail), certified true copies of educational certificates, transcripts and names and addresses of THREE referees. S
- end your applications to the University of Botswana, TIBA Principal Investigator, School of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences. Telephone: (267) 3555031/2364; Fax: (267)3974538; E-mail: email@example.com.
Applicants should inform their referees to submit their references directly to the above address, before the stipulated closing date.
- Hand delivered applications should be submitted to Block 246/Office No:
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Visit webpage for more information here